Re: clutch forks and shaft

To: triumph listserv <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: clutch forks and shaft
From: Roger Helman <rogerh@digimation.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 1997 10:18:01 -0500
Henry,

    My Pin broke a while back, this was a major pain.:-( The pin broke
at the worst spot, between the fork and the shaft. The fork then rotated
and stuck hard!. First I cut the forks off the fork, so I could get it
off the throwout bearing sleeve. I then had to heat the remainder of the
fork, so I could pound it off the shaft with a BFH. I then used an
easyout to remove the remainder of the pin. I replaced the fork with a
good used one.  I bought a hardened pin one from TRF.

I don't think  I shouldn't have this problem again.. The last pin lasted
20 years with some pretty hard driving. :-)

>If all parts are pretty new and the pin was broken in the car, I would
be
>concerned, and lean pretty heavy towards the welding solution. If the
>pin broke while you were trying to remove it, congenital wisdom
>indicates you drill the fork and shaft at a 90 degree angle to the
>original holes, and replace with another pin or an appropriate bolt and

>nut.
    I would think that if you tried to rotate 90 degs and redrill , then
the lever that attaches to the slave cylinder will not  line up
correctly.

Ps. I would also examine your ring gear. They also have a tendency to
back off. not allowing the starter gear to engage!

--
Roger Helman
71 TR6 CC67866L