Re: Rechroming Bumpers

To: gfranco@provide.net
Subject: Re: Rechroming Bumpers
From: Bob Lang <LANG@ISIS.MIT.EDU>
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 1997 11:24:52 -0500 (EST)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Hi,

The list has visited this topic before. Several times.

In short, a good chrome job is very labor intensive. The cost reflects this.

I also got several estimates for chrome work on my TR6.

Bottom line: front bumper cost about $250, in 1986 dollars. It was well
worth it, the chrome still looks great. Rear bumper was done in 1994. It
was a lot more expensive. $500 for the three usual pieces and I have
over-riders that cost an extra $100. Amco luggage rack: just buy a new
one. Moss sells them for about $130. I got two quotes of over $300 to
rechrome the old rack. That piece needs a lot of buffing. Hence the high
cost.

Good luck, but shop around for a place that does a lot of collector work
to get the best quality. If you want cheap, talk to some body shops in
your area.  Body shops send out chrome to volume rechroming operations.
The quality may be lower, but so will the price.

Note: to give you an idea of what quality your are paying for, my rear
bumper got buffed several times after the copper plating. The guy thought
it looked wavey, so he re-dipped and re-buffed. A cheap shop would have
just gone to the next step instead of trying to make it right.

Oh, and get it triple plated, copper, nickel, chrome. This will last the
best.

See Ya,
rml
Bob Lang                Room 11-221            | This space for rent.
Voice: (617)253-7438    FAX: (617)258-9535     |
url: http://web.mit.edu/afs/athena.mit.edu/user/b/l/blang/www/home.html
Quote: How many Triumphs do you own??? Just a few.