Re: Many Thanx

To: Geoffrey Wiggins <wiggins.26@osu.edu>
Subject: Re: Many Thanx
From: Ken Streeter <streeter@sanders.com>
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 1997 12:20:11 -0500
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Geoffrey Wiggins wrote:

> Is there anything I should do to the [TR6] driveline while it
> is *NOT* in the car?? I'm going to replace the clutch while
> it is easy to do, but what else should I look for? I intend
> to put new U-Joints in and have the hubs redone, but is
> there any other common failure points that I am overlooking??

While the frame is off the chassis, I would *highly* suggest
adding additional re-inforcement to the front right differential
mount.  This consists of boxing in the support, and adding a
re-inforcement plate to the top of the frame where the stud
passes through the frame.  Stress cracks in this area are a
*very* commmon malady, and very easily prevented while the
body is off of the frame.  Note that the when boxing in
the support, the metal used for boxing in should have holes
in it, to allow the boxed-in area to dry out properly, and
not collect water which may encourage rust.  TRF makes a kit
explicitly for this purpose, but any welding shop can easily
fabricate such a piece from standard stock.

--ken
74 TR6 Daily Driver, CF27535

... today is my birthday, but I sure didn't wish for the 10-20
  inches of snow we're just starting to get in New Hampshire...

--
Kenneth B. Streeter         | EMAIL: streeter@sanders.com
Sanders, PTP2-A001          |