Re: clutch problems

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: clutch problems
From: joe-schneider@nwu.edu (Joseph R Schneider)
Date: Sun, 30 Mar 1997 20:35:42 -0600
Jim-
the most ominous part of what you said is the part about the master
cylinder reservoir being down the next day- *if* this isn't just the fluid
lost that filled the master cylinder when the pedal was depressed when you
first topped off, then yes, there is a leak somewhere- if either the master
cylinder or its connection to the hydraulic line is leaking, you ought to
see fluid under the master cylinder, otherwise, the leak is likely to be at
the slave end (where it's most likely to be anyway)
when my clutch on my recently acquired Spitfire didn't work right and I
checked my system, I found the master cylinder reservoir empty, but when
refilled, I found the bleed nipple stripped and leaking like a sieve- had
to replace the slave cylinder (today), works great now
did you bleed the system after you topped off? (be sure you have a piece of
tubing attached to the bleed nipple on one end and the other end immersed
in a container like a jelly jar with brake fluid in the bottom so air won't
be aspirated back in through the bleed nipple when the clutch pedal is
withdrawn and that's also a good time to see if there's fluid leaking at
the slave end of the system)
I love this list!
good luck
Joe