clutch problems

To: Triumphs <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: clutch problems
From: James Charles Ruwaldt <jruwaldt@indiana.edu>
Date: Sun, 30 Mar 1997 13:01:12 -0500 (EST)
I finally got the transmission in Friday, after a couple months
struggling with it off and on, not the sort of job you want to do by
yourself, if you can avoid it.  So far I can't tell if replacing the
throwout bearing solved my problem from before, because now the pedal
linkage is messed up.  Specifically, I get nothing when I push on the
clutch pedal.  I checked the master cylinder (clutch, not brake), and,
sure enough, it was low.  After I topped it off, the same thing
happened.  I've tried pumping the clutch to see if I can work some
pressure into the system, but still nothing happens.  After I did that
some, I checked the master cylinder, and it was fine.  Yesterday it was
down about halfway.  I suspect from this that the master cylinder must be
leaking somewhere, but wouldn't it go down really fast if it were leaking
enough to keep pressure away from the slave cylinder?  Any suggestions on
what might be wrong?
Jim Ruwaldt
'72 TR6 (being restored)