Re: Tranny/Clutch/Engine

To: Ross.Vincenti@transamerica.com (Vincenti. Ross)
Subject: Re: Tranny/Clutch/Engine
From: Z@iamug.org
Date: Sat, 29 Mar 97 12:52:47 CST
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net (triumphs@autox.team.net)
Vincenti. Ross <Ross.Vincenti@transamerica.com>,uucp writes:

Zach - can't help you with your tranny problems without more info.  Are you
hearing "noises"?  If so, what are they, when do they occur, for how long,
under load or coasting, etc, etc.?  Do you feel grinding through the shift
linkage?  Again, when, how long, etc., etc.
As far as noises go, I hear a  small clunk every once in a while while shifting
gears.  It isnt anything loud.  I dont want to say it is the synchros, because
they were fine when I installed a new transmission last fall.  Also, the rear
axle area makes a funny sound every once in a while when I shift into third
gear....  It seems as though the car is going to hell in a handbasket... =]
I can't say I usually hear or have any problems while driving, in gear.

As to head gasket replacement, I'd try to determine WHY it blew before going
to the expense and trouble of replacing it.  What caused it?  Will the cause
reoccur?  Once you have isolated the source and cured that problem then by
all means replace the gasket.  While you are at it, check the condition of
valve seats and guides, look for broken valve springs, loose collars, and
check the condition of rubber hoses (heater, radiator, etc.) --  things like
that.  How was the car running before you decided the gasket needed
replceing?
>From what Ive seen in the gasket is leaking at the back, near the driver's
>side.
(bottom left, from a top view.)  Ive also noticed the car seems to be burning a
bit more oil than normal...  The car has been running pretty well, over all.  It
always takes about 20 seconds of cranking before the engine catches, but after
that the car will start up fine.  I know I'm forgetting something...  hmmm

Does this help?
Zach
Mouse Hole Server - Des Moines Iowa