RE: Tranny/Clutch/Engine

To: "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net> (Return requested), "Z@iamug.org" <Z@iamug.org> (Return requested)
Subject: RE: Tranny/Clutch/Engine
From: "Vincenti, Ross" <Ross.Vincenti@transamerica.com>
Date: 29 Mar 1997 08:35:25 -0800
Alternate-recipient: Allowed
Conversion: Allowed
Disclose-recipients: Prohibited
X400-content-type: P2-1988 ( 22 )
X400-mts-identifier: [/c=us/admd=attmail/prmd=transam/; 04B5C333D44CD003-mtamailhub]
X400-originator: Ross.Vincenti@transamerica.com
X400-received: by /c=us/admd=attmail/prmd=transam/; Relayed; 29 Mar 1997 08:35:25 -0800
X400-received: by mta mtamailhub in /c=us/admd=attmail/prmd=transam/; Relayed; 29 Mar 1997 08:35:25 -0800
X400-recipients: non-disclosure; <04B5C333D44CD003*/c=US/admd=ATTmail/prmd=Transam/o=tfs/s=Vincenti/g=Ross/@MHS>
Zach wrote:
I know this is a strange question, but some days, my transmission seems to
work very well, whereas other days, I feel as though any sudden movement
could
cause some horrible failure... Any Ideas? My next question is, I will be
replacing the head gasket on my spitfire soon, and am wondering if there are
any other items I should attend to before I takle the problem.  Anyone help?
++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Zach - can't help you with your tranny problems without more info.  Are you
hearing "noises"?  If so, what are they, when do they occur, for how long,
under load or coasting, etc, etc.?  Do you feel grinding through the shift
linkage?  Again, when, how long, etc., etc.

As to head gasket replacement, I'd try to determine WHY it blew before going
to the expense and trouble of replacing it.  What caused it?  Will the cause
reoccur?  Once you have isolated the source and cured that problem then by
all means replace the gasket.  While you are at it, check the condition of
valve seats and guides, look for broken valve springs, loose collars, and
check the condition of rubber hoses (heater, radiator, etc.) --  things like
that.  How was the car running before you decided the gasket needed
replceing?

Ross D. Vincenti
64 Spitfire 4
64 Porsche 356C Coupe