Re: K&N air filters (hopefully not a dead horse)

To: jhardest@infinet.com
Subject: Re: K&N air filters (hopefully not a dead horse)
From: ingate@shiseis.com (Shane F. Ingate)
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 97 09:17:24 PST
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Jim Hardesty wrote:
        >TRF lists three different K&N replacement filters and covers for TR6s.
        >
        >Can anyone tell me the difference bewteen:
        >
        >TRFCD18  Air Cleaner Kit, Chromed round canisters with washable
        >elements; kit includes one pair of elements. ($89.98)
        >
        >TRFCD215 Air Cleaner Kit, Chromed round canisters (5 7/8-in. x 1
        >3/4-in.) with washable element ($39.95)
        >
        >TRFCD252 Air Cleaner Kit, Chromed round canisters (5 7/8-in. x 3
        >1/4-in.) extra deep; Kit includes one pair of elements. ($89.95)
        >
        >It appears TRFCD215 and TRFCD252 differ only in the depth of the
filter,
        >obviously, the deeper filter is preferable.
        >
        >Would both of these fit all years, or is there a clearence issue with
        >certain years?
        >
        >And what about TRFCD18?  What size is it?  How does it differ from the
        >other two?

I wrote about this yesterday, and to make a liar of me, my TRFCD18
which was on backorder for 6 weeks arrivade last night!  Now I know
what it is like to "eat crow".

TRFCD18 consists of a pair of K&N cleaners and chromed cannisters.
The cleaners are 5.88" x 1.75".  They are well made, but appear
very small, particularly when compared with the original paper-element
cleaners which are approx 7" x 2".  They do not have the K&N logo
on the top of the cannister.

TRFCD252 consists of a pair of K&N cleaners and chromed cannisters.
The cleaners are 5.88" x 3.25".  I have reservations about these
cleaners fitting my '74 TR6 as I have only 3" of clearance between
the mouth of the front carb and the wheel-well.  I called TRF
and they confirmed that some owners have experienced clearance
problems.  I guess if you are handy with a hammer or cutting torch
it is not a problem.

TRFCD252 is identical to TRFCD18, but consists of a single cleaner
and cannister.  The information in the TRF Greenbook has a misprint
when it refers to TRFCD252 being a pair.

Overall, they look great, albeit a little "puny" in size.  I'm sure
they will flow enough air, but I was expecting something that was a
little more substantial.  Next time I'll measure the original
units first!

PS, my TRF newsletter arrived on Tuesday!  I guess US Mail figures
San Diego is slightly bigger than Champaign IL, eh Greg?

        Shane Ingate cleaned out in San Diego