Re: Double Diamond!!!? AAAAAARGHH! (no LBC content)

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Double Diamond!!!? AAAAAARGHH! (no LBC content)
From: Bruce Hedin <bkhedin@erols.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 1997 10:40:45 -0500
>on Mon., Mar. 24th, Greg "Down th' `atch" Petrolati wrote

   >Charlie may be lucky to get Double Diamond!!! For those of you
   >who are not familiar with PA's rediculous State Store system...
   >Beer is bought from a distributor (in amounts of a case or greater).
   >If you want a 6 pack you get it at a bar (I think). What's available
   >is largely dependant on what the local distributor chooses to carry
   >(unless he can make a special deal)...
   >
   >One of the reasons I don't miss "home" all that much is the ability
   >to walk in to a well stocked liquor store and get what I want rather
   >than what some schmo in Harrisburg thinks I want...

The schmo's in Harrisburg are in the midsts of the recurring "let's privatise
the state stores"
debate. You know the arguments, raise lot's o cash, improve education, build
better roads, etc...
But here's the kicker.   The proposal Gov. Ridge has on the table right now
only includes the sale of
the retail stores...the state would still control the wholesale business.
Which means they would
still control pricing and selection (and profits).  Free enterprise at work,
yea right...give me a
break.

On a more positive note, PA does have the honor of having the country's oldest
brewery within its
borders.  Just NW of Reading, PA, in a town called Pottsville, is the Yuengling
Brewery, brewer's of
an excellent porter, lager, and my own personal favorite, Black & Tan.  If you
are ever in the area,
the tour of the brewery is a great time.  Owned and operated by Dick
Yuengling...xth generation,
although I believe I read somewhere that his daughters are now responsible for
more of the day to day
operations.  I'm glad to see that it's being kept in the family and not sold
out to one of the
Mega-Brewer's.

Bruce Hedin
71 GT6 MkIII
Trappe, PA (named for Schrack's Tavern, otherwise known as "the trap")