Timing In a TR4 camshaft

To: Triumphs List <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Timing In a TR4 camshaft
From: Dean Mericas <dmericas@limno.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 1997 07:06:08 -0500 (EST)
I'm hoping to get some clear technical guidance from the group on the
installation of a new/used cam in my TR4.

Through the list I have located a mild street cam, but I'm told it must
be "timed in" as part of the installation process.  The only specs I have
on the cam are the following:

Intake = 22 - 70 degrees
Valve lift = 0.415
Valve lash = 0.012
Full lift @ 112 degrees
Lift @ TDC = 0.390

Exhaust = 62 - 28 degrees
Valve lift = 0.400
Valve lash = 0.014
Full lift @106 degrees
Lift @ TDC = 0.405

The Bentley manual has instructions for aligning an unmarked camshaft that
involves finding the "point of balance" on the camshaft and setting the
crank to TDC. Is this same process used for any camshaft?  Can anyone give
me a clear step-by-step explanation of the process of timing in a cam, or
direct me to a suitable reference?  Do I have enough data on the cam to
complete the process?

Finally, does it seem strange that exhaust "Valve Lift" is less than "Lift
@ TDC"?

All input is greatly appreciated.

Dean Mericas
1965 TR4 (CT 37089L)