RE: TR6 Tuning Problems

To: "Dane_Berthelsen@intuit.com" <Dane_Berthelsen@intuit.com>, "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: TR6 Tuning Problems
From: "Kevin Cordery (Cygnus)" <kevin.cordery@computeraid.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 1997 16:11:00 -0000
>     Could someone please help me with some advice on tuning my 73 tr6. I
>     have recently replaced all the spark plugs, distributor cap, rotor,
>     and contact points. The timing is set to 4 degrees after as specified
>     in the manual. My problem is the engine sort of choke at low speed. At
>     normal speed, there is no problem.
>
>     The contact is attached to the contact breaker base (part no 10 and 11
>     on plate DT in the TRF parts manual). I noticed this plate can rock up
>     and down, and when it does, the timing is also changing. The red
>     plastic contact is not in the right angle with the cam. It's only
>     touching the cam at the lower corner. I should probably replace the no
>     10/11 part, but it's no longer supplied (TRF can supply a new
>     distributor). Maybe someone knows where I can get the no 10 and 11
>     parts.

You say that the base plate *can* move, but can you be sure that it
*does* move?
I'd say that IMHO a problem of this kind would show up at all revs, not
just tickover speed.

"choking" implies a fuel/air mixture problem, have you changed your air
filter recently? Also, a non standard cam could produce a *lumpy*
tickover.

>     Some time ago, there was some messages regarding electronic ignition
>     kits. Would this be a good time for me to check into these devices ?
>

>     Thanks,
>     Dane

As far as I am aware, electronic ignition systems still use the standard
base plate for the sensor location (the ones I have seen anyways), so I
don't know if this would cure your problem.

just my 0.02p

Good luck,

Kevin.