Re: SMOG BASTARDS

To: RFeibusch@aol.com
Subject: Re: SMOG BASTARDS
From: Chad Jester <triumph@uriel.net>
Date: Sun, 23 Mar 1997 15:13:39 +0900
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
RFeibusch@aol.com wrote:
> A horrifying tale of CA emission testing woes.

I had a similar, though not quite so ammusing experience with Florida
emission testing.  I purchased a very nice extremely low mileage '76 TR6
with original everything except battery, gas, and air in the tire.  I
took it to the test station and the test dork rolled his mirror under
the car, first on the left, then on the right, then on the left.  He
then informed me he couldn't test the car because someone had
removed the catalytic converter.  I told him TR6's NEVER had
converters...even showed him the "NON-CATYLIST" sticker in the door jam.
 He wanted to know "Where I bought that illegal decal".  I held my
ground and told him to get his supervisor...which he did.  The
supervisor told me the same thing....couldn't test because the converter
had been removed.  I showed him the sticker.  I asked to see the station
manager.  After a bit of arguing, the manager came out to see what was
going on.  The whole scenario was repeated.

After almost 1.5 hours they finally dug out a reference book on emission
control equipment for older cars and turned to Triumph.  Low and behold,
it said NO CATALYITIC CONVERTER!!!!!!

If these damned IDIOTS would have looked in their book right away it
would have saved me 1.5 hours in their exhaust filled building!

I just hope Florida never has under hood exams ;)

Chad Jester