Marvel Mystery Oil in Z-S dashpots

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Marvel Mystery Oil in Z-S dashpots
From: ingate@shiseis.com (Shane F. Ingate)
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 97 16:07:09 PST
All,

        Marvel Mystery Oil (MMO) has been suggested several times
on this list for use in Stromberg dashpots.  I've always wondered
why we should use MMO instead of the relatively heavier engine oil.

        I've been debugging my 175's (74 TR6) over the past few months,
and the only outstanding problem is worn throttle shafts (Ken Streeter
gave me the hint to spray carb cleaner on the shafts and lo, the revs
rose by 200!)

        I spoke with a talented local carb rebuilder here in San Diego,
Rick Walker, about rebushing the carbs.  It isnt easy.  As an interim
measure, he suggested MMO.  Why?  His reason was that the wear on the
throttle shafts allow a flutter (in the butterfly - no pun intended),
and that going to MMO would allow the dampener to react more quickly to
compensate for the flutter than if I stuck with the heavier engine oil.
Not a 100% solution, but he said I should notice an improvement (my
biggest problem is popping on a trailing throttle).

        I'll let you know how it goes....

        Shane Ingate in San Diego