TR4/4A suspension

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: TR4/4A suspension
From: "Kevin O'Driscoll" <ko3@columbia.edu>
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 1997 19:35:44 -0500 (EST)
Friends,
Has anyone bored/reamed/honed out the lower wishbones of the TR4 where
they attach to the trunnion so as to fit the later bolt-through TR4A
arrangement as opposed to the earlier TR4 trunnion which had fixed pins
attached?  If so, was that acceptable, and with or without a pressed in
brass bushing?  The 4A bushings of nylon with an internal distance piece
look fairly substantial with a 7/8th inch outside diameter, and if one
were to machine the wishbone eyes to this size, I would guess it would be
functional.
        Also, I'm about to refinish all of my front end pieces, (after
assembling them some months ago with haste, I realized that I wanted it
done properly so I took it all apart again and bead blasted everything)
and now I would like to get opinions on how the POR-15 treatment wears on
suspension parts.
        Speaking of POR-15 does anyone know what concentration of
phosphoric acid is used to etch the metal prior to using this stuff?
And does laquer paint go on well over POR-15?
        If you haven't guessed by know I can't afford powder coating, and
I am considering the POR-15 treatment followed by a semigloss black
spray enamel.  Any and all opinions are welcome.
Best Regards
-Kevin