Degreasing

To: dmericas@limno.com
Subject: Degreasing
From: "Jack I. Brooks" <brooks@belcotech.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 1997 08:20:59 -0500
Cc: Triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
>Date: Tue, 18 Mar 1997 09:16:09 EST
>From: "Dean Mericas" <dmericas@limno.com>
>Subject: Parts cleaning options.
>
>I have gotten pretty far into the disassembly of the TRs engine, and
>I am faced with the problem of how to clean the grease and oil off of
>all the parts.  I've got everything from the block and transmission
>to lots of smaller bits and pieces to deal with.
>
>In the bad old days, I'd just scrub them down with gasoline in a tub,
>and dump the mess out in the back 40.  This is no longer an option,
>so I'd like some advice on prefered alternatives that can be
>practically employed in my home garage/shop.
>
>Thanks.

>Dean Mericas
>1965 TR4 (CT37089L)
>1988 Saab 900S
>1991 Saab 9000T

Dean,

Simple Green.  I am basically cheap and overly cautious about using harsh
chemicals.  As great as they work, I didn't want to invest in a parts
washer, nor did I want to use nasty solvents.  I have used Simple Green for
cleaning everything from engine parts to cleaning the stupidly designed
alloy wheels on my '88 SAAB 9000S; the ones with all the little holes with
the tight corners.  It is very effective when used with a stiff brush and
hot water.  Engine parts, which could rust, need to be coated lightly with
oil, as Simple green will remove all traces of oil.  IMHO Simple Green is
safe for hands, but the internal/external engine goop you are cleaning is
not.  Usually, I cut it UP TO 10:1, although for really heavy grease
accumulations, scrape as much of the goop as you can off and scrub the rest
with 2:1 or use it straight.

Scrubbing with Scotch Brand Green Pads works great on anything that you
don't care about getting cosmetic scratches.  Yes, the green pads can
scratch surfaces like chrome, although I would never have done anything like
that to any my vehicle.  <Ahemmm>

There are other great scrubbing pad out there called Dobie pads.  They are
nylon mesh, foam cored sponges which do a great job and do not scratch metal
surfaces.  After the green pad incident (chrome bumper), I will not use the
dobies or anything but cloth on paint or plastic.

I have used simple green in a Miracle Grow type landscape sprayer for big
degreasing jobs.  You know the ones.  Pour it into the container straight,
and dial in the concentration.  You get an enviornmentally safe "low"
pressure washer on the end of your garden hose.

For general exterior engine maintainence, I like to use about a half a can
of WD-40.  Spray the entire engine and engine bay.  It cuts throught the
lighter accumulated crud but doesn't hurt the paint or remove the oil off
the rustable parts like the simple green would.  Also, it doesn't contain
any water, which might disagree with Mr. Lucas's components.  It also makes
the hoses and plastic parts look great.

Jack Brooks
1960 TR3A