TR2/3B Steering Rack Conversion

To: kengano@advant.com, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: TR2/3B Steering Rack Conversion
From: Catpusher@aol.com
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 1997 00:10:45 -0500 (EST)
Hi Ken & GP
Has anyone checked or thought about the bump/roll steer issue?
I made a conversion for my TR3R by shortening the TR4 RACK and Body
(both on the offside only, work that can be done on a lathe only).  This
kept the tie rod length unchanged,(I used a threaded, hollow adaptor
to change the tie rod end) and the steering geometry intact.
 I also had a terribly close call with a "professional" welder
 welding in rear hub studs.
 I had a three inch long splined adaptor made that fits into the std.
upper steering column clamp and drives a TR6 metal std. steering
"U" joint, a shortened TR6 lower shaft, and a 2nd metal "U" to the
rack.  The only real modification to the chasssis/body was welding
two rack mounts to a Spair chassis bolt in cross tube.
  Be warned that the TR4 rack ratio is considerably slower than
the TR2/3 Box!!!
   BTW my Cleveland TR3 Parts are still for sale/trade.  I am working
on the inventory list.   Good Luck (and Safe Engineering)
        from a TR3 person & Vehicular Dynamics Consultant