Re: TR-3 - Silicone brake fluid potential problem.

To: jfcowan@sj.znet.com
Subject: Re: TR-3 - Silicone brake fluid potential problem.
From: lgmiceli@juno.com (Lawrence G Miceli)
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 1997 18:58:51 EST
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net, british-cars@Autox.Team.Net, resinext@aol.com, DHoemberg@aol.com, 3030p@vm1.cc.nps.navy.mil, oggman2@aol.com, barry.bassola@us.landisgyr.com, dave.biagini@us.landisgyr.com
On Wed, 19 Mar 1997 08:24:31 -0800 (PST) John Cowan <jfcowan@sj.znet.com>
writes:
>  The disk brakes on my '60 TR-3A do not release after they are
>applied
>(with the car up on a rack).  Mechanic says that the silicone brake
>fluid
>used by former mechanic has softened O rings in brake mechanism so
>that
>they no longer retract the pads when the brake pedal is released.
>   Any thoughts or similar experiences?
>Thanks.
>  John Cowan

This sort of nonsense has been going around since silicone brake fluid
was introduced for cars. If the system was properly set up the silicone
has NO effect on the rubber parts. PERIOD. The racers have good evidence
that it may provide a little "spongier" feel in hard use but  that's all.

I have used silicone brake fluid for over 10 years and have never had a
problem. One time I switched back to DOT 4  because of all of the hype
and had a brake line failure (copper line, not rubber) which wiped out
the paint in the engine compartment. You can bet I went back to silicone.
Also, my Herald sits in the garage for extended periods and since
switching to silicone 5 years ago I have not lost a drop of brake fluid,
nor had a hydraulic failure.

I think I would look for a REAL reason for the brake failure.  If the
cylinders do not release I would check for a restricted rubber brake line
by the caliper. These can become swollen internally, but look fine from
the outside. Very common problem on all LBCs.

Larry Miceli
'76 TR6
'73 Stag
'66 Herald