Re: Dumb Question re Herald/Vitesse, etc

To: Paulsv@aol.com
Subject: Re: Dumb Question re Herald/Vitesse, etc
From: Spitfire 1500 <spitfire1500@named.dalton.net>
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 1997 01:16:09 -0500
Cc: TRIUMPHS@Autox.Team.Net
Paulsv@aol.com wrote:

> Dear Scions-
> Sorry to ask such an elementary question, but hope you'll forgive and help.
>  I've always been a TR man, and have some knowledge of Spit's, but I am
> woefully ignorant about the Herald, Vitesse, and Sports 6 line.  How are they
> related, how do they differ, and when were they made?  What engines do they
> have?  Are they related to the Dolomite and 2000 sedans?  Can you suggest a
> good source for this and other information about these cars?  Thanks for any
> help, and don't tell my wife!!!!
> Paul

Paul,
  NO questions are dumb, except maybe the unasked question.  The Herald,
Vitesse, Sports 6, Spitfire, and GT6 all share the same basic chassis
structure.  Some differences in chassis structure is a box frame on
Heralds, Vitesses and Sports 6s.  Heralds and Spitfires are more closely
related driveline wise, using four cylinder engines ranging from 1147cc,
1296cc, and 1493cc displacements.  While the Sports 6, Vitesse, and GT6
shared inline-6 engines ranging from the 1.6L Sports 6 engine to the
2.0L of the Vitesse and GT6.  Later GT6s and Spitfire 1500s have alot
more in common with each other than with the earlier models.  Heralds
were made from 1959 to approx 1970, while the Sports 6 was manufactured
in 1962.  The Vitesse was manufactured from 1962 to 1971 and the GT6 was
mnufactured from late 1966 to 1973.  The Spitfire enjoyed the longest
life by far, being produced from 1962 to 1980.  AFAIK, they are not
related to the Dolomite or 2000, which are based on the large Triumph
chassis (TR3 - TR6), except they may share engines.  Do check out the
VTR web site at:

  http://www.vtr.org/vtr.html

It is very helpful.  Plus, Andy on this list is VERY helpful (DON'T let
it go to your head again Andy! ;-]) on the subject of small chassis
Triumphs.

Ron N.
Dalton, Ga
http://member.dalton.net/~spitfire1500
77 Spitfire 1500 - undergoing cajones transplant - FM66513UO
62? Vitesse/Sports 6 convertible - HB5635LCV
92 Ford Tempo GLS V6 (Ultimate Q-ship!) - 1FAPP38U1NK150073