RE: Spitfire - Interior restoration questions

To: "(Charles T Schmitz)" <tomschmitz@juno.com> (Return requested), "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net> (Return requested)
Subject: RE: Spitfire - Interior restoration questions
From: "Vincenti, Ross" <Ross.Vincenti@transamerica.com>
Date: 18 Mar 1997 12:31:26 -0800
Alternate-recipient: Allowed
Conversion: Allowed
Disclose-recipients: Prohibited
X400-content-type: P2-1988 ( 22 )
X400-mts-identifier: [/c=us/admd=attmail/prmd=transam/; 059D4332EFB9E001-mtamailhub]
X400-originator: Ross.Vincenti@transamerica.com
X400-received: by /c=us/admd=attmail/prmd=transam/; Relayed; 18 Mar 1997 12:31:26 -0800
X400-received: by mta mtamailhub in /c=us/admd=attmail/prmd=transam/; Relayed; 18 Mar 1997 12:31:26 -0800
X400-recipients: non-disclosure; <059D4332EFB9E001*/c=US/admd=ATTmail/prmd=Transam/o=tfs/s=Vincenti/g=Ross/@MHS>
Charles T Schmitz wrote:
[snip] At the end of the month my Spitfire Mk III (1970) finally goes to
paint.
While it's at paint I'll be needing to make some major purchases - a
complete interior, carpet kits, seat covers, full panel set , hardtop
headliner, sun visors, and a full set of rubber and trim.  What I'd like to
know is what advice the list might offer on this phase  of the project. I'm
especially interested in other's experiences with these vendor's products,
like what's the difference between a "Standard" and "Deluxe" carpet kit?
Should I go for the "molded" carpet kit? I need to carpet everything,
including the trans tunnel.   Is Vicky Brit the only source for seat kits
for this car (high backed seats)? - $550 bucks! Yikes!  In response to
another post, Ross V. had suggested checking with a local shop for the
seats, which I will do, [snip]

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Charles - I should add that I had both of my Mk I Spitfire seats (low back)
recovered in leather with white piping (w/ vinyl backs) for a grand total of
$320 for the pair!  Even factoring in the cost of a high back seat it should
still be cheaper to pay someone else for the materials and labor than $550
to VB.

A moulded carpet kit is nicer, but my God are they expensive.  If I recall
correctly something on the order of $350 to $450.  Then you need to figure
about $250 (I think) for all the interior panels, etc.  So you are looking
at $1,200 to $1,300 for an entire interior makeover w/o labor.  FWIW, the
total cost of my interior redo, with leather seats, all new door/interior
panels, very high grade German carpet (not original but lots nicer) AND a
brand new tonneau was about $1,200 - that's including all labor and I can
guarantee you that he did a lot better job and had all the proper fasteners,
etc. than I would have (even if I think I am halfway decent with a wrench).
 I'll bet you you can get a complete interior redone to non-concours
standard for less than a grand, easy (and maybe lots less), if you are
willing to go with cheaper materials.

You noted that you intend to check out some upholstery shops nearby and
that's good.  I strongly recommend that before you "buy" anything you get
several estimates from upholstery shops, look at some of the other vehicles
they've done, then carefully consider not only the cost of all the panels,
carpet, etc. from VB, TRF, and others , but also think seriously about
whether you can match the quality of installation that an upholstery shop
gives you PLUS the warranty on the workmanship.  Upholstery work is like
paint  --  you can do it yourself, but it is unlikely (although certainly a
remote possibility) that you can match the quality of work.  Let's face it,
these guys do this stuff for a living, have the proper tools and shop, and
know all the tricks.  Hope this helps and I'll get off my soap box now.

Ross D. Vincenti
64 Spitfire 4
64 Porsche 356C Coupe