Spitfire - Interior restoration questions

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Spitfire - Interior restoration questions
From: tomschmitz@juno.com (Charles T Schmitz)
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 1997 00:51:06 EST

From: tomschmitz
To: triumphs-owner@autox.team.net
Date: Sun, 16 Mar 1997 18:35:41 PST

Hi All -

At the end of the month my Spitfire Mk III (1970) finally goes to paint.
While it's at paint I'll be needing to make some major purchases - a
complete interior, carpet kits, seat covers, full panel set , hardtop
headliner, sun visors, and a full set of rubber and trim.

What I'd like to know is what advice the list might offer on this phase
of the project. The vendors I'm looking at are TRF, VB, BPN, Special
Interest Cars, and Sports and Classics. Are there other vendor's I should
be talking to?

I'm especially interested in other's experiences with these vendor's
products, like what's the difference between a "Standard" and "Deluxe"
carpet kit? Should I go for the "molded" carpet kit? I need to carpet
everything, including the trans tunnel.

 How about the difference in quality that is implied by the considerable
difference in prices I see? How do the various vendor's door panels and
cockpit panels compare to the originals?

 Is Vicky Brit the only source for seat kits for this car (high backed
seats)? - $550 bucks! Yikes!  In response to another post, Ross V. had
suggested checking with a local shop for the seats, which I will do, but
I had real good luck with a set of seat covers for my 1974 Crappy
(remember the sexy European?) some years ago. At that time seat covers
from Robbins were a better deal than trying to get a local shop to do it.

On the hardtop - has anybody found a source for the rear windshield seal?
VB has the headliner and the seal finishing trim, but apparently no seal.

This car is not going to be a show car, so originality and authenticity,
while important, are perhaps second to price, durability, and ease of
installation.

I'll be calling these vendors in the next couple of weeks, but thought
that the experiences of those who have gone before me would be of
tremendous value.

Thanks!
Tom

tomschmitz@juno.com