Re: Spit Brake lights not working

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Spit Brake lights not working
From: Sholtes IV <joeiv@concentric.net>
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 1997 17:32:38 -0500
Cc: Tony Zappa <tzappa@aztec.co.za>
Tony,

  I'm a little late joining this thread, but the way you wrote:

> 2.  Touch the wire from the fuse box (which has power) to the wire
> from the lights (which, as far as I can tell, is unbroken) and the
> fuse pops

                     ~and~

> I can add that when I replaced the switch once already (with a cheap
> plastic one)

                    ~and espcecially~

the switch got so hot it melted the plastic and almost
> fried the wires (replaced them).

  Prognosis?
  I came to the conclusion that you must have a pinched wire some-
where.  This would cause the switch to melt (due to overloading) and
the fuse to pop (same reason).  Also that would be the reason the lights
didn't (light), because the electricity is going to ground via a short
circut ( the pinched wire) .

  Method of treatment?
 Visibly inspect every inch of the harness, from the switch to the
lights.  You should find that somewhere the wire is rubbing through
the insulation or pinched hard enough to create a short circut.  Find
this problem, then splice in a new segment (preferably soldered in,
then heat shrinked over) or, if there is enough strands still left,
just replace the insulation.

  Prevention?

  Reroute the wire in question, or if you can't, wrap it in protective
plastic tubing, available at most automotive parts stores.

  Let us all know what the problem was, when you finally fix it,

                                  JOE IV
                                  TR 250
                            WALLINGFORD, CT. USA