Re: Spit MkIII, Brakes lights don't work

To: tzappa@aztec.co.za, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Spit MkIII, Brakes lights don't work
From: ArthurK101@aol.com
Date: Sun, 16 Mar 1997 14:04:16 -0500 (EST)
In a message dated 97-03-16 13:19:49 EST, tzappa@aztec.co.za (Tony Zappa)
writes:

> 2.  Touch the wire from the fuse box (which has power) to the wire
>  from the lights (which, as far as I can tell, is unbroken) and the
>  fuse pops

Sounds to me like you have a " short " in that wire to the lights or a short
at the bulb holder.  You need to test both.  1) The wire - Disconnect both
ends of the wire.  Then connect one side of an ohmeter (current meter - which
has a battery in it to supply current for the test) to one end of the wire
and the other side of the ohmeter to the frame, engine or chassis (Ground).
 If you have a reading then you have a short in the wire.  2) If no reading,
then test the bulb connector.  First remove the bulb.  Insert the probe from
one side of the meter into the connector and then ground the other side of
the meter.  If you get a reading then the connector itself is shorted to the
body.

What the current should be doing is flowing from the fuse through the wire,
then through the bulb filament and then to ground.  If it is getting to
ground before flowing through the filament, you have a "short" and it will
blow the fuse.  Let us know.  Cheers

Art Kelly '64 TR4 CT33118L (original owner)