RE: Overdrive swapping

To: "'Greg Tobin'" <GTOBIN@astea.com>
Subject: RE: Overdrive swapping
From: Ralph Jannelli <rjannelli@uncc.campus.mci.net>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 1997 20:13:35 -0500
Cc: "'Triumphs'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
I recently put a single rail OD trans in my '72 Spit MKIV. There are a number
of things to consider. First the rear mount will have to be changed but if you
all ready have the 1500 with all the needed parts you are in good shape. The
drive shaft is shorter I think the 1500 may work hear but you better check. The
biggest problem is the clutch. The MKIV has a 6.5 inch plate and 10 spline on
the input shaft of the tranny. The 1500 uses a 7.25 inch plate and 20 splines
on the input shaft of the tranny. You can buy a 6.5 inch plate with 20 splines
from John Kipping in England, or you can change the flywheel to the 1500 and go
with the regular 7.25 clutch. I recommend the latter as a cleaner solution.

Ralph Jannelli
Matthews, NC
'72 Spit MKIV
'65 Spit MKII