Overdrive swapping

To: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Overdrive swapping
From: Greg Tobin <GTOBIN@astea.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 1997 15:47:54 -0700
Recently I purchased a 72 MKIV sight unseen, ostensibly as a parts car
for the bumpers and a new top.  I drove to the gent's house with a tow
rope, some gas in a can, and the usual tools/supplies in case I could
drive it home (as he said it ran a year prior).  After bleeding the
brakes, gassing it up, and putting a charged battery in, I drove it 60
miles home with nary a problem on the road.

  My problem now is that the 'parts' car is by far in better condition
than the 79 1500  that I still own.  Now the role has reversed, and I
have a few questions:

  The MKIV has the original 1300cc in excellent shape and 4 speed, no
overdrive. The 1500 has a Type J overdrive and a bad motor.
The MKIV spins over 4500 rpm at 60mph and needs an overdrive.  I cannot
find a Type-D for a reasonable price, either attached to a tranny or no.

  What is the easiest swap here?
 The Type-J to the rear of the 1300 tranny?
 The whole 1500 tranny/Type-J to the 1300 engine?
 The 1500 engine/tranny/Type-J into the 1300. (I know this is ultimately
better for power, etc, but would much prefer not to do this.)

  -As a side note, I am glad to see the list still going, I subscribed
back in 88, and found some extremely useful info and neat folks.  It's
nice to be back.
(and driving a 25 yr old lbc in Colorado winters! -40 deg, and it still
starts!)

-Greg Tobin
Bendata Astea Technical Support
Colorado Springs, CO