RE: Spitfire repairs

To: "Ginter, G M (Michael)" <GinteGM@LOUISVILLE.STORTEK.COM> (Return requested), "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net> (Return requested)
Subject: RE: Spitfire repairs
From: "Vincenti, Ross" <Ross.Vincenti@transamerica.com>
Date: 12 Mar 1997 13:29:42 -0800
Alternate-recipient: Allowed
Conversion: Allowed
Disclose-recipients: Prohibited
X400-content-type: P2-1988 ( 22 )
X400-mts-identifier: [/c=us/admd=attmail/prmd=transam/; 04DB83327204600E-mtamailhub]
X400-originator: Ross.Vincenti@transamerica.com
X400-received: by /c=us/admd=attmail/prmd=transam/; Relayed; 12 Mar 1997 13:29:42 -0800
X400-received: by mta mtamailhub in /c=us/admd=attmail/prmd=transam/; Relayed; 12 Mar 1997 13:29:42 -0800
X400-recipients: non-disclosure; <04DB83327204600E*/c=US/admd=ATTmail/prmd=Transam/o=tfs/s=Vincenti/g=Ross/@MHS>
Michael Ginter wrote:
Can people who have purchased houndstooth seat covers from the leading
suppliers (TRF, Moss, VB), please advise me as to the quality of their
respective vendors products?  The prices do vary substantially, which
leads one to believe that there are corresponding differences in
quality.
Mike
79 Spit
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Mike - FWIW, I, too, priced the various seat covers and replacement interior
panels, etc. from a number of suppliers such as VB, TRF and BPN when doing
the restoration of my Spit.  I understand that you are not doing a full
resto., just a little "freshing up", however, I would recommend that before
you make a "final" decision to purchase the seat covers and do the work
yourself you get a couple of estimates from local auto upholstery shops.

Others on the list may disagree with this, but re-covering a car seat is
definitely not an easy chore, especially if you want it to look nice.  When
you factor in the cost of quality covers ($$$$) and your time, and the
inevitable wrinkles, etc. that will reappear quickly, you will often find
that an upholsterer is about the same price and results in better quality
and a longer lasting product.  That's my $.02.  You can probably find a shop
that will do each seat for about $75 to $100.  The last time I looked in the
catalogs of various suppliers, "good" covers were almost that much!

Ross D. Vincenti
64 Spitfire 4
64 Porsche 356C Coupe