valve grinding spit 1500 head vs lead

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: valve grinding spit 1500 head vs lead
From: "Brent Martin" <b_martin@lifesci.lscf.ucsb.edu>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 1997 08:09:52 -0700 (PDT)
Sorry, for the re-send on this. My mailer went down and I don't know if this
got sent. [if it did and you responded to it, I would appreciate it if you
would re-send your comments to me at b_martin@lifesci.lscf.ucsb.edu] thanks
****
I am having some machining done as my '77 spit 1500 engine is rebuilt.

The machinist, who has an very good reputation in the area, says that
hardened valve seats should be put in. He says, unless I misunderstood, that
grinding the valves is going to lead to excessive head wear from here on out
since there's no lead in the fuel. I've gathered that many of you have been
quite happy without "no-lead heads" even on the old lead-designed cars and
mine is an unleaded car....but this grinding part has thrown me a curve. He
wants $29 for the seats and $50 install them. Money well spent or not?

Also, I'm checking parts list against what I have access to (machinist is
happy to use my parts suppliers and Moss is easily beating the parts list).
One item on list is valve stem seals. Moss doesn't carry these but indicates
that any routine source would probably have them. Any idea what size (?) I
should seek for the "O-ring type"?

thanks, brent