Amp meter/ Voltmeter For A Spitfire

To: muntsb@hiwaay.net
Subject: Amp meter/ Voltmeter For A Spitfire
From: DANMAS@aol.com
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 1997 14:21:23 -0500 (EST)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Bill M. wrote:

"I would like to install either an amp meter or a voltmeter ...which is meter
is best?"

Without getting into a debate - there are merits to each - I would like to
point out some of the concerns with the two choices:

a) An ammeter is in series with the main power cable running from the
alternater to the battery, and has the entire current draw of the vehicle
passing through it. This means you have to run a LARGE cable into and back
out of the cockpit, and use large terminals on the back of the meter. Any
short on this cable will handle the entire capacity of the battery. Power is
applied to the ammeter, and it is operable, at all times, ignition key on or
off.

b) A voltmeter, on the other hand, draws only the current required to operate
the meter, on the order of milli-amps. Two small wires are required to hook
it up (plus the wires for the illumination lamps - same as for the ammeter).
Run one wire to ground, and the other to any green wire. Since the voltmeter
draws it's power from the green wire, which is fused, there is much less
chance for damage due to a short. When the ignition key is off, no power is
suplied to the voltmeter, and it is inoperative.

Based on the above, my choice would be the voltmeter.

Dan Masters,
Alcoa, TN