Re: Amp meter/ Voltmeter For A Spitfire

To: muntsb@hiwaay.net, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Amp meter/ Voltmeter For A Spitfire
From: ArthurK101@aol.com
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 1997 09:37:47 -0500 (EST)

>  would like to install either an amp meter or a voltmeter in my '70 MkIII
>  Spitfire.  I know that there was a very long thread about these meters a
> while
>  back but I was never sure which type was best for monitoring the generator

> and
>  charging system.
>
>  So, without rehashing the previous thread...which is meter is best?

Bill, without getting very technical about this -- I have an ammeter on my
TR4 and a voltmeter on my '88 300ZX.  In my opinion the Voltmeter tells me
very little.  It very rarely moves from about 14/15V and does seem to respond
much when I do things like turn on the lights, the defrosters, AC, etc.
 Whereas the ammeter in the TR4 reacts very well.  I feel more comfortable
seeing variations in the charging system as I do various things to the
electrical system or RPM's.  So for that reason, I pefer the ammeter.
But I'm sure you'll get some opinions that are in favor of the volt meter.
 It's your choice.  Of course there are always the restoration questions.
 I.e. what was originally in the car and will any new guage match the other
ones?   Hope this helps a bit.  Cheers.

Art Kelly '64 TR4 CT33118L (original owner)