TR 7/8 Headlamp lift assembly

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: TR 7/8 Headlamp lift assembly
From: "Gregory J. Edge" <edgr@mbari.org>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 1997 13:33:52 -0800
A recent thread concerned repairs to the headlamp lifts and I had one
that had become a little slower than the other.  After disassembly, I
inspected all the moving parts and found no apparent failure.

However, while manually turning the lift knob on the end of the motor, I
noticed that lift bound up to the point I could barely turn the knob.
This began when the lifting arm was about 3/4 up and again when about
1/4 of the way back down.  I cleaned, lubed and adjusted all parts with
no real improvements noted.

Closer inspection showed that where the upper hinge link pivot pin went
through mount, there was a crack in the hinge assembly casting on the
inner side.  As the lifting arm pushed upward, the hole for the pivot
pin became deformed and started binding.

The link arm and pivot pin were not seriously scarred.  Obviously,
the hinge assembly casting is of much softer metal.  How the crack
first occurred is hard to say, but it did take quite a bit of looking
to discover.

Rimmer Bros. had the entire hinge assembly less motor, link, and a
few odd bits for about $37.00 or so (20 pounds plus shipping).  I
purchased and installed same.

We now have harmonious lamp lifting!

Greg Edge, OGDO
'78 TR7(CA)