Re: GT6 rear suspension.

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: GT6 rear suspension.
From: Bschwartz@encad.com (Barry Schwartz)
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 1997 08:30:17 -0800
Rick Back writes:

>Hi everyone, I have a 72 spitfire tub / chassis with the front end and
interior of a GT6-III (Engine gearbox, suspension, steering, brakes etc), I
wanted to swap the GT6 rotoflex over as well but there are two brackets
missing on the spitfire chassis and two locating holes blanked on the
bodytub  < snip >
Rick, been there done that -
Mine is also a 72, was original narrow swing spring (still have the old
axles lying around somewhere).  Changed over to wider (1500) axles (
requires different, not 1500 but longer because of inner mounting location,
flex brake lines ).  Worked quite well.  Changed over to the rotoflex type.
Works the best!  BUT, this requires a LOT more work than simply swapping the
axles an relocating the trailing arms.  The brackets you mention can be
purchased and welded in and the wheel well shock mounting assemblies can
also be purchased and welded in.  There is also a shock adapter, really
slick, that bolts to the rear crossmember where the original shocks mount
and extends the mounting point outward about 3 inches or so to clear the
rotoflex rotors if you don't want to weld the original type mounts in.  Then
you will have to replace the brake lines (the steel ones) and weld/braze the
new mounting brackets for those as well.  You will also have to weld in the
reinforcements around the inner body tub mounting holes or you will surely
break/crack the body tub in that area.  Then there's all the work (mention
in another post) about replacing the rotoflex joints (completely disassemble
the rear hubs/uprights/axle assy) when they deteriorate, and they will.  So
its your call.  I got tired of replacing the rotoflex joints (from more
torque than the joints could handle) and replaced/machined the axles with
TR6 units.  The joints on my GT6 I haven't had to replace for about 6 years
now, but it doesn't get driven nearly as often.  The rotoflex setup is also
an inch narrower than the 1500, but one inch wider than the 72 MK4 so wider
tires can become a problem.  It's your call as to weather its worth the
effort.  I think it was -

Barry Schwartz
Bschwartz@encad.com  (San Diego)
72-V6 Spitfire (daily driver)