Spit gas mileage

To: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Spit gas mileage
From: "Ginter, G M (Michael)" <GinteGM@LOUISVILLE.STORTEK.COM>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 1997 03:21:00 -0700
Cc: "'kthinc@dwx.com'" <kthinc@dwx.com>
I did a controlled mileage test on Saturday with a 1 gallon gas can in
the trunk of the Spit.
I ran the car out opf gas, put in 1 gallon, ran the car out of gas, put
in 1 gallon etc.
Stock 1500 OD, 3.89 rear (just rebuilt), water choke 150cd Stromberg,
stock intake,
exhaust w/cat and air filter.  The car has only run 500 miles over the
last 8 months due to
exp/tensive winter repairs after PO left in garage for over 8 years.

1st gallon - (by mistake) premium unleaded - city - 25.8 ( I won't pay
extra for lousy mpg again).
2nd gallon - regular unleaded - city - 27.9

Didn't want to run out of gas on the rural 2-lane highways - went to 2
gallons.

This trip was 85% rural 2-lane highways (some quite curcy ;-)), 15% city
- moderate OD use,
heavy foot (what's new)
3rd (2)gallons - regular unleaded - 31.6

This trip was 75% rural 2-lane highways, 25% city - liberal OD use at
sustained speeds over
45 mph, somewhat lighter (not much, not my nature - following speed
limit junkies) foot.
4th (2)gallons - regular unleaded - 32.1

Based on these findings, I expect to average 27 mpg city, 34 strictly
highway mpg.
Not bad, considering the fun I'm having with my foot in the carb of this
thing.  This day I drove
200 miles in 60+ degrees and was the kind of day that lead me to buy
another Spitfire in the
first place.

Mike
79 Spit