re: TR6 vacuum retard

To: mrdr@buckeyeweb.com (The Romagni's)
Subject: re: TR6 vacuum retard
From: Steve Sutton <ssutton@ridgecrest.ca.us>
Date: Fri, 7 Mar 1997 16:44:30 -0800
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Conversation-id: <3320B44B.6A0B@buckeyeweb.com>
Posted-date: Fri, 7 Mar 1997 16:48:55 -0800 (PST)
The thermostatic valve in the upper radiator hose simply bleeds off vacuum when
the engine gets hot so it automatically raises the idle speed -- supposedly to
prevent overheating by drawing more air thru the radiator.

If it's missing - no big deal -- you need to run a vacuum line from *both* of
the very small vacuum ports (1/16") on what are called the 'deceleration bypass
valves' on each carb ('T' them together and run it to the vacuum retard unit.
Set you timing to 4 degrees ATDC @idle with the vacuum lines CONNECTED.  Make
sure the large (1/4") vacuum port on the bottom of the front carb is plugged
(this is where the vacuum was bled to from the thermostatic switch).

Have fun!

Steve Sutton
74 1/2 TR-6 - daily driver!
ssutton@ridgecrest.ca.us