Re: PERTRONIX Ignitor - (for '64 Spit)

To: Peter Ficklin <pficklin@qnis.net>, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: PERTRONIX Ignitor - (for '64 Spit)
From: twakeman@scruznet.com (TeriAnn Wakeman)
Date: Fri, 7 Mar 1997 12:49:18 -0800
At 10:51 AM 3/7/97 -0800, Peter Ficklin wrote:
>Hey all,
>  Does anybody have any experience with a "Pertronix Ignitior"?
<snip>, but I wasn't real
>thrilled about having another box on the firewall.

Peter I recently purchased one for my Land Rover.  I have not yet installed
it.  The unit consists of a black plastic collar with a magnet inside that
replaces the rotor and a sealed black box that replaces the points.  The
only difference that you will see after the distributer cap is replaced is
that instead of one wire going to the coil, there are two, one for each
side of the coil.

As far as I can tell the advantage is once you set your timing it will not
go out like it does with points. Its immune to dirt, oil and moisture and
switches twice the energy as point systems (From the ad on the side of the
box).  It looks rugged and well made.

The directions do not say how to set up the timing.  But it tells you how
to troubleshoot it if you have problems with the installation.

TeriAnn Wakeman            "Large format photographers look
Santa Cruz California       at the world upside down and
twakeman@scruznet.com       backwards"