Re: Spitfire Mk IV transmission

To: Chiahotny David <David_Chiahotny@dofasco.ca>
Subject: Re: Spitfire Mk IV transmission
From: Odd Hedberg <odd@triumphclub.se>
Date: Fri, 07 Mar 1997 09:25:28 +0100
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net, odd@triumphclub.se
David,
the aluminium bellhousing (Part No 129359 or 132926, depending
on foundry) fitted to the early Herald 1200's (up to gearbox No
GA85460 and [as far as I can find out] never fitted to the Spit-
fire Mk1's, if that was not a US only spec.) is 7 kg lighter
than the cast iron one. Using the alloy one is a not uncommon
way of balancing the weight increase of an overdrive fitment...
It also helps in moving the center of weight (correct term in
English?) backwards.
But - problems arise, of course! ;-)
You have to mix parts, using some parts from the early type
clutch and some parts from the later type, in order to get things
working all right. But I think it's worth the effort...
[Making the car 7 kg lighter via drilling lightening holes takes
a LOT of big holes virtually everywhere... ;-) ]

A friend of mine did this on his '70 Mk3 in the late eighties
and I'm going to do it on mine next time I pull the engine and
transmission out... The alloy one hangs waiting on the garage wall.

The problem is usually to locate an alloy bell housing. But since
You already are past that obstacle: Go for it!

/Odd

--
Odd Hedberg
Pomonagatan 4           International liaison secretary,