More on TRF

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: More on TRF
From: Trmgafun@aol.com
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 1997 17:46:15 -0500 (EST)
My $.02

When I got into this hobby in the late 1980's, I had no idea which supplier
to deal with.  So I figured I'd deal with several at first and decide for
myself which one would be my favorite.  One of my first orders for my 1972
GT6 MKIII was with a competitor of TRF.  That order included two rubber
tipped bonnet supports (I can't remember the proper name at the moment).  I
purchased them because I was reinstalling the bonnet after having it
repainted and the original ones were very old and cracked.  Within the first
50 miles after reinstalling the bonnet, the rubber separated and the stud
pushed through the hole in the bonnet support, causing the bonnet to drop.
 After getting the car home, I inspected the part.  I noticed that it was
just a piece of rubber fitted over a hex head bolt, unlike the original part
which had a large round disc shape at the end of the stud with rubber
vulcanized to it.  The original part was designed so that if the rubber got
old and deteriorated, the flat disc on the end of the stud, which was larger
than the hole in the bonnet support, would not allow the bonnet to drop down
as in my case (causing some minor damage to my new paint job).

Before I could drive the car again, I had to find a replacement.  I knew that
I could not deal with the same company because it was a design flaw and I
would end up with the same problem again.  So I decided to order from this
other place called "The Roadster Factory".  When I got my new parts, I
checked them out very carefully and was impressed that they were exactly the
same as the originals.

This incident taught me an important lesson about quality verses price.  I
decided that I would deal with TRF and have been happy with their parts and
service ever since.  Oh sure people will have isolated problems now and then
with any company, but I feel they are definitely devoted to what they do and
they do it very well.  My only complaint is that they don't cater to the MGA
or Healey.

Scott