Apple Hydraulics, TR3 - Rear Shocks

To: Triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Apple Hydraulics, TR3 - Rear Shocks
From: "Jack I. Brooks" <brooks@belcotech.com>
Date: Thu, 06 Mar 1997 12:01:26 -0500
SOL'ers

Anyone have experience with Apple Hydraulics HEAVY DUTY, lever arm rebuild.
The heavy duty has a 15% stiffer damping rate.  Will this significantly
degrade my day-to-day ride? Or is it relatively unnoticed until the shocks
are pushed?  I don't have a real good basis for knowing how the standard
shock rate is, as I bought my car with one really trashed shock (it was
really fun to drive in bumpy corners. <chuckle>)  Just looking for some
guidance based on your experience.

Suspension guru's; will this enhance or detract from the handling,
especially based on the recent thread about removing rear anti-sway bars
from TR3's and lengthening spring shackels to allow the rear end to move
even more.

BTW - The easiest way to remove the shocks was with the link attached.  If
the frame gets in the way, (of removing the ball/bolt assy. on the bottom of
the link from the spring perch) simply loosen, don't remove, the spring
perch (with the axle supported) until the lower ball on the link clears the
bottom of the frame. One note, the spring perch nuts are nylocs, use only once.

Interestingly, I only had to loosen the spring perch on one side.  The frame
was symetrical laterally; the spring perch height was not.  I don't yet know
if this is a problem, the height difference was only about 1/2 inch.

Thanks for your input on the shock rebuilds.

Jack Brooks