Re: TW's again

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: TW's again
From: Larry R Worm <Larry_R_Worm@ccm2.hf.intel.com>
Date: Thu, 06 Mar 97 08:57:00 PST
Text item:

Chet,

Test this is fairly simple with a dial indicator.   Mount the indicator
to measure the end play on the crank (crank fan pulley works well).
Use a tool to push the crank rearward.  Note the reading on the dial
indicator.  Use the clutch to push the crank forward.  Note the
difference.   The thrust washers do come in various thickness.  In my
case the washer had dropped into the oil pan, lots of end play.  This
caused the crank (when the clutch was pushed) to wear against the
bearing cap and block.   The design uses oil from the rear main to keep
it from wearing excessively, don't start the car with the clutch pushed
in.

If you need to replace the trust washers this can be done by removing
the oil pan and the rear main bearing cap.  You don't need to pull the
engine or even drain the water.

Larry