Re: spit1500 brake drums

To: wkforest@acpub.duke.edu
Subject: Re: spit1500 brake drums
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 1997 09:58:20 +0500 (EST)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
On Wed, 5 Mar 1997 wkforest@acpub.duke.edu wrote:

> I have been unsuccessful in removing the brake drums from my 75 spit1500. I
> backed off the brake shoes but cannot remove the two countersunk screws
> that hold the brake drum to the backplate. I have tried liquid wrench,
> marvel mystery oil, elbow grease, etc. to no avail.... any suggestions
> before I drill the little suckers into oblivion? Bruce Pierce

Bruce, I'd suggest center-punching the screws and drilling away. I've done
this a number of times. Usually, all you need to do is CAREFULLY drill
enough to remove the head, after which the drum will come off over
whatever remains. Then Vise-Grips [tm] or the like can be used to extract
the rest of the screw.

And, if you're desperate to get going again and anyone has the screws on
back-order ;-), you can go without them without harm.

--Andy