Re: TR4-on gearbox cases

To: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>, Scions of Stanpart <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: TR4-on gearbox cases
From: R John Lye <rjl6n@uva.pcmail.virginia.edu>
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 97 07:17:37 EST
On Mar 3,  9:15pm, Andrew Mace wrote:
> 1. Are the alloy cases for TR4 and later (at least through TR250) cars
> pretty much the same item?

Interesting question, and one we've been pondering while examining
a couple of transmission cases about the barn.  It appears that,
while the cases are essentially interchangable, there were differences.
>From our observations (limited), it would appear that the factory
may have had cracking problems, as the later the case, the more
re-inforcements seem to be added to stiffen the outside of the case.

> 2. Does anyone have need, desire, any earthly use for at one, two or
> three alloy TR transmission cases, as described above?

If they're cheap enough, sure <grin>

> Is there something obvious I should look at to determine whether
> or not these are worth keeping about -- other than large, jagged holes in
> the casting?

Someone else chime in here please, but I seem to recall that there's
a bearing that can chew up the case if it spins, and that that's a
fairly common problem.

John Lye

rjl6n@virginia.EDU
http://avery.med.virginia.edu/~rjl6n/homepage.htm