RE: 64 Spit4 driveshaft

To: "'Triumphs'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: 64 Spit4 driveshaft
From: Ralph Jannelli <rjannelli@uncc.campus.mci.net>
Date: Sat, 1 Mar 1997 18:35:23 -0500
Peter - I had the same problem when putting min back together last year. I have
a book, the only one that has any detail about the drive shaft and all they say
is to remember which way it was in the car, since the factory installed them
both ways!! I've had some vibration in mine and have tried the shaft both way
with no noticeable difference. I have it out right now and have just gotten it
back from being balanced. Tomorrow it goes back in. Which way? I'm voting for
the sliding joint to the rear.
Hey all...
  I need some reminders.  I've searched through my photo collection to
see "which way" the drive shaft is oriented on my Spit.  I seem to
recall that the slider/sleeve/splined joint is toward the rear end, and
the straight tubular part of the drive shaft is toward the front.  I
can't find any good pictures in my manual, and no pictures that I took
during dissasembly.  I've put the driveshaft back together with new
u-joints, but I weant to make sure that I get the front half to the
front!  BTW, I found some allen head set screws at a local Home Depot,
that work great for the Zerk fitting plugs.  I figure if I need to
re-lube the joints, at least the plug will be on the end of the allen
wrench, instead of my driveway.  Any help is appreciated.  Any
volunteers to peek under their car???

Thanks,
Peter
'64 Spit4 - 1/2 done, 1/2 dream