Re: positive earth to negative earth

To: robert ylitalo <robert.ylitalo@kiruna.se>
Subject: Re: positive earth to negative earth
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 1996 14:28:19 +0500 (EST)
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
On Thu, 31 Oct 1996, robert ylitalo wrote:

> I have a spit mk2 65 with positive earth and D.C alternator
> What do i have to do to convert to negativ earth.
>
> Robert Ylitalo
> Kiruna Sweden
> spit mk2 65
> http://www.kiruna.se/~roberto

One good place to look for information is at the VTR Web site:
<www.vtr.org>, under the "Maintenance Handbook" section.

One question, though: do you really have an alternator now with a
positive earth setup? I know that Lucas made some positive earth
alternators. If this IS the case, I'm sure something must have to be
changed in the alternator, or the alternator itself would have to be
replaced with a negative earth alternator. If what you really have is a
Generator, the conversion is rather simpler, involving mostly turning
the battery around, repolarizing the generator, and switching or
rewiring any polarity-sensitive components such as radios, etc.

--Andy