Re: Brakes, MC's, Fuel Pump, Ect

To: duhart@symbol.com
Subject: Re: Brakes, MC's, Fuel Pump, Ect
From: Jeremy DuBois <jer@thlogic.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 1996 13:05:21 -0500 (EST)
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net

>       The TR6 is in the process of disassembly, and after I get the engine
>out
> in two weeks I will begin to remove the bodyshell from the frame.
> Anyway, I will be removing all the fluids from the brakes, cluck and fuel
> system.  How does one store these parts so that the seals dont dryup, or
> should I just by all the rebuild kits and do the rebuild anyway?

  I assume you're doing a complete restoration, if you're going to the
trouble to remove the bodyshell from the frame.  So, unless you know the
hydraulic parts have been recently replaced, you can almost count on
replacing all the master/slave cylinders.  If you're stuck on rebuilding,
be sure to disassemble the cylinders before you order the rebuild kits.
That way you can decide cylinder by cylinder what can be rebuild and what
really truly needs replacing.

>       Also, how long should a fuel tank have to dryout for one all the fuel
>is
> removed.  (i.e. until a lite match doesn't cause an explosion.)

  After draining the tank, stick a garden hose in it and fill it up with
water.  This will displace most if not all of the gas fumes, and make the
tank much safer to deal with.  Just be sure to empty all the water out and
then bring the tank inside somewhere warm so it dries quickly and doesn't
rust up.

----
Jeremy DuBois                              jer@thlogic.com
Manager, Info Systems                      http://www.thlogic.com/~jer/
Thermalogic Corporation                    '60 TR3A, '74 MGB, '76 Spit