TR3A Rear Oil Seal

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR3A Rear Oil Seal
From: Jeff Williamson <jaws@mich.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 1996 21:00:13 -0500
A few weeks ago, I wrote in with a question concerning the rear oil seal
on my TR3A which wasleaking profusely --- just one of several problems
that occurred after a long 5-hour trip thatshould have taken 3 hours,
the inaugural first trip after a total restoration. I was concerned that
neither the original part or the replacement part contained any type of
rubber seal and wonderedif this was correct.

Thanks to the many of you who responded, I learned that the replacement
part I had purchased was correct, but many of you recommended an
aftermarket part which used a rubber seal, but required machining the
crankshaft before installation. Since I had recently rebuilt the motor
and completed a frame-off restoration of the car, I was not interested
in tearing everything apart again to remove the crankshaft, so I used
the original type replacement part. After close comparison of
the old and new parts, I found that the old one was very worn, probably
due to some worn out main bearings which had been replaced some years
earlier.

I was able to replace the seal without removing the engine from the car,
a real pain in the ___, but the installation was successful. I have not
road tested the car yet, due to a leaking clutch
master cylinder and a burned up overdrive solenoid, but after running
the engine for fifteen minutes in the garage, not a single drop of oil
leaked out --- a real first for this car. That hasn't happened in the 18
years I've owned it.  Just think --- a Triumph that doesn't mark it's
territory!!!  I can't wait to get it on the road again to give it a real
test.

Thanks again. This list is great !!!

Jeff Williamson
Belleville, MI
1958 TR3A TS36916L (Almost Back on the Road Again)