Re: Leaning Spitfire

To: Huy Bui <hbui@richter.net>
Subject: Re: Leaning Spitfire
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 1996 10:28:54 +0500 (EST)
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
On Mon, 28 Oct 1996, Huy Bui wrote:

> I have a '78 Spit 1500 that is about 1-1.5 inches lower on the driver side in
> the back than on the passenger side.  My mechanic told me the reason is a
> missing bushing in the trunion.  Anybody familiar with the cause of and/or
> remedy for this problem ?

That certainly is a possibility. The trunnion bushings are not unlike
those in the front suspension: nylon inserts with a steel sleeve to
"carry" the bolt. If you can undo and withdraw the bolt without too much
difficulty, you're almost "home" with this job. Often, though, time and
neglect result in a bolt that can be very stubborn.

However, it's hard to believe that even a completely MISSING trunnion
bush would cause that much of a difference. With the Spitfire 1500s, the
most common cause of the driver's side lean is a sagging (or even
broken) spring.

By all means, check (and, considering how often these are neglected,
replace) the trunnion bushings on both sides, but also check out the
transverse spring.

--Andy

  * Mrs Irrelevant: Oh, is it a jet?                                  *
  * Man: Well, no... It's not so much of a jet, it's more your, er,   *
  *  Triumph Herald engine with wings.                                *
  *   -- The Cut-price Airline Sketch, Monty Python's Flying Circus   *