Vehicle value(was Re: '65 Spitfire)

To: Triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Vehicle value(was Re: '65 Spitfire)
From: Richard Jackson <RICHARD.JACKSON@nene.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 1996 10:43:26 +0000 (GMT)

On Wed, 11 Sep 1996, Kirk Stanford wrote:

> I bought a 70 Spitfire for $850.  It ran, was registered, passed smog
> fairly easily and only had to put about $500 to make it comfortable to
> drive.  I would definitely not procure the vehicle mentioned below.  You
> would put more money into it than what it is actually worth.  Take your
> time, look around, read the Sat. Auto section for deals and never make
> an impulse purchase on a used car.  Take a friend with you to look at it
> in a different perspective.  Good Luck.

No flames intended here, but why is it that most people will NOT touch a
car if it is going to cost more to fix than it is actually worth!!! This
is a hobby NOT a business, so what if you don't make thousands when/if
you sell it.....I also enjoy reading about the 'Great War'(a crazy name
for a war if ever I heard one!!!), but I don't buy the books because they
are gonna be worth MORE once I've read them.  I am nearing the end of a
seven year resto of a 1966 A40 Farina, I've spent approx 1500-2000 quid
on the damn thing, If I sold it, I'd be lucky to get 1500 for it, but so
what, I've enjoyed doing it, I know the car inside out, AND if I hadn't
bought it 7 years ago, I still WOULDN'T have 1500-2000 in my bank
account, so what have I lost...NOTHING, I would have probably drank the
equivilant in beer instead!!!!(Damn, I knew I shouldn't have bought it
:-))

Anyway, there's my Monday Morning whinge over and done with, did you all
have a good weekend???? :-)

Rich