Re: Vehicle value(was Re: '65 Spitfire)

To: Richard Jackson <RICHARD.JACKSON@nene.ac.uk>
Subject: Re: Vehicle value(was Re: '65 Spitfire)
From: George Richardson <gprtech@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 1996 06:59:45 -0500
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Richard Jackson wrote:

> On Wed, 11 Sep 1996, Kirk Stanford wrote:
>
> > I bought a 70 Spitfire for $850.  It ran, was registered, passed smog
> > fairly easily and only had to put about $500 to make it comfortable to
> > drive.  I would definitely not procure the vehicle mentioned below.  You
> > would put more money into it than what it is actually worth.  Take your
> > time, look around, read the Sat. Auto section for deals and never make
> > an impulse purchase on a used car.  Take a friend with you to look at it
> > in a different perspective.  Good Luck.
>
> No flames intended here, but why is it that most people will NOT touch a
> car if it is going to cost more to fix than it is actually worth!!! This
> is a hobby NOT a business, so what if you don't make thousands when/if
> you sell it.....I also enjoy reading about the 'Great War'(a crazy name
> for a war if ever I heard one!!!), but I don't buy the books because they
> are gonna be worth MORE once I've read them.  I am nearing the end of a
> seven year resto of a 1966 A40 Farina, I've spent approx 1500-2000 quid
> on the damn thing, If I sold it, I'd be lucky to get 1500 for it, but so
> what, I've enjoyed doing it, I know the car inside out, AND if I hadn't
> bought it 7 years ago, I still WOULDN'T have 1500-2000 in my bank
> account, so what have I lost...NOTHING, I would have probably drank the
> equivilant in beer instead!!!!(Damn, I knew I shouldn't have bought it
> :-))
>
> Anyway, there's my Monday Morning whinge over and done with, did you all
> have a good weekend???? :-)
>
> Rich

Rich, you're not alone. I bought my '57 TR3 at first sight, knowing that
I should have run away screaming. The poor thing had rotted frame
sections, rot in the wheel arches, floor pans, trunk floor, inner and
outer sills, and more. The real problem was that it ran, and ran very
well. One ride in the thing and I was hooked.

Now I'm up to $5000 in parts, at least $2000 in tools, and if you
calculated in my labor costs.... Well let us just say that it was unwise
financially.

However, the body, though rough, is now rust free. The frame is solid.
And I know the TR3 inside out. Come spring, I hope to be cruising in a
car that I practically totally rebuilt. I love it!

My advise to anyone who can get a deal on a total wreck of a car is to
look on it as both a hobby and an education. Visit cars shows that have
examples of your car there, it'll keep you interest up while you're
working and waiting to reach the point you can drive your own car.

And if if resale value versus invested funds are a concern, buy some
other type of vehicle. It seems you're always going to end up spending
more on the car than it's worth, even if you buy one in good to perfect
condition.

George Richardson
'57 TR3, TS15559