TR6 Vacuum System

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR6 Vacuum System
From: bill <triumph1@nr.infi.net>
Date: Sat, 26 Oct 1996 10:31:12 -0700
It is correct to assume that the TR6 vacuum system is simple and not
critical to the overall operation of the engine.  In 1973 Triumph
introduced the thermo-vacuum switch to the top radiator hose of a TR6.
At a certain tempature (a raised one, caused by additional emission
requirements) the switch cut off the vacuum to the retard unit of the
distributor, thus raising the idle by several hundred rpm's.  This
combated the tendency of the later cars to stall due to the higher
underhood tempatures.

For years when my switch broke, I simply ran the wacuum line to the
distributor from the intake manifold to the distributor instead of the
the switch on the radiator hose.  Worked fine and never experienced any
problems whatsoever.  Try this and see how it works for you until you can
replace the switch.

Bill Wood
Greensboro, N.C.