Re: TR6 Engine Rebuild

To: mbrinker@rust.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR6 Engine Rebuild
From: Nickbk@aol.com
Date: Sat, 26 Oct 1996 21:02:40 -0400

>Hello fellow Triumph lovers,
>
>I am in the process of rebuilding a spare TR6 engine I purchased for a
>song.^^^^^ sure, go ahead, rub it in^^^^^  It is a 73 block with an earlier
head.  I have had the necessary
>machining done and purchased the necessary parts for reassembly.

Mike-
Exactely what type of song are you singing ? I'm up to my 4th motor and still
haven't found one that I can rebuild.
Seriously, a few quick thoughts come to mind. Check that you have the correct
push rods as the late motor had longer push rods than the earlier units due
to the thickness of the head. The easiest way to check for proper
geometry/length is to measure lift at either the pushrod or spring end of the
rocker, and at 1/2 of the measured lift,  the rocker should be parallel with
the head.
Also, remember that the earlier head needs the earlier intake manifold. (As
an aside to this, the aforementioned 4 motors that I have recently
disassembled, had various types of incorrect intake manifold and gaskets
setups. Of the 4, one motor was all correct. Of the other 3, the first and
second, early motors, had  late manifold gaskets on them, and the 4th engine,
a late style, had both an early gasket and manifold on it. All three of these
motors had been running for some extended period of time this way.  Please be
aware that when you put the wrong gasket on your motor, the gasket will cover
almost 1/4 of the intake port opening. This is not a good idea for maximum
motoring enjoyment !)

Other than the above immediate thoughts, the motor is pretty much like any
other motor to rebuild. Just find a good machinist and trust in the force

The Car Curmudgeon
   Nick in Nor Cal.