Why are my carbs spitting gas and smoke?

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Why are my carbs spitting gas and smoke?
From: jstovall@earthlink.net (J. Stovall)
Date: Fri, 25 Oct 1996 19:35:53 -0700 (PDT)
Hey everyone,
        This one gave me a bit of a scare. Last night, the carbs were
really good. They were on the car and it ran super. I just needed to tune,
but, being fatigued, I decided to wait till tonight. After looking at a
couple of pics, I thought I might've put the butterfly on wrong, so I took
them off today and had a look. There was no prob, and I put them back on. I
changed _nothing_. I cranked the car, it finally caught, roughly, and I
gave it a bit of a rev. It sounded terrible. Then, looking up, I noticed
kinda black smoke coming from the carbs. I turned the car off and had a
look. Gas had been spouting (not liberal amounts, but quite a bit), and the
gas that was sitting the part of the carb where you connect the air cleaner
smelled of oil and looked like it, as well. I'm sure this is very bad, but
I don't know what happened. Please, someone give me some clue, or else I'm
afraid the Bomb might really blow! :-(

Thanks everyone and good luck!

Jeff Stovall
jstovall@earthlink.net