TR engine test bed

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR engine test bed
From: john gillis <jgillis@tcd.ie>
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 1996 12:24:57 +0100
Hello all. As i have mentioned in previous questions to the list I am in the
process of restoring (body off) a long door TR2. At some stage soon I will be
re-building the engine and when I hve finished I would like to fit it to the
chassis and without the body start it up in order to check for leaks and any
other problems that may be more difficult to deal with once the chassis is
fully kitted out with the body shell. Has any Tr people out there carried out
this type of operation and how did they go about it, did they fit the radiator
if so what about the heater and it's pipes . Can this type of exercise be
carried out without rigging up the charging system, i.e the control box etc..
although
you would need to fit the dynamo in order to keep tension on the fan belt. I
guess it would be best to have the gearbox in place also ??? and the exhaust
system.I have seen photos of some sort of test rig with the necessary bits
bolted to
a piece of wood or steel in order to supply power such as ignition, solinoid
and what ever other bits and pieces. Has anybody made up one of these and if so
what was involved. Do you think this is a good idea at all, or is it overkill.
While I am on the subject has anybody any words of warning or advice regarding
re-building these units.
Thanks in advance.
John Gillis, 1954 TR2
Trinity College, Dublin